Not happy with the results of the last exercise I have revisited it using a different image, one included as part of DPP assignment 1, taken at the Bristol Balloon Fiesta. The original image had some sensor marks which I removed using the healing brush in Lightroom and then used the curves tool to create first a low-key and then a high key image.
This was clearly a much more suitable image for this treatment than the flamingo which I used in the first exercise and I think the difference has to be the plain background.
I started the black and white images in Silver FX Pro, just so that I could go and check how it had been produced.
I then applied a blue filter which made the reds in the balloons stand out and increased the whites slightly and was fairly pleased with the results.
The low-key black and white image produced some really interesting effects, to start with all of the sensor marks reappeared as did some I didn’t know were there, even though I had increased the image to maximum size when removing them. I had found this in an earlier exercise when experimenting with infrared but if anything this was more noticeable. I can only assume that the colour and light hides the marks so when that is taken away every blemish is revealed. The Lightroom healing tool did not touch these marks and I had to clone them out in Elements once I have completed the low-key treatment. I could maybe have tried to pull out more of the highlights in the low-key image but overall I am much happier with these results.