I was really pleased with the constructive feedback my tutor gave on this assignment, particularly as I was worried that I had not been creative enough with all the manipulative stuff. Although he said that it was exactly the sort of thing that was required, I was given some pointer for improvement which I hope I have addressed.
The first was that the border around the panel at the bottom of the page would be better if it were narrower and with a bit of measuring and some guesswork I have managed to achieve this. If the ‘the’ in the text was smaller it would emphasize the ‘Shetland’, very easily done too. On the printed version which I sent my tutor, the main image appeared to be over sharpened and when he examined the image file it was in fact a very small image. When I started experimenting with this, I did resize the images I was using, thinking that it might be easier to fit them onto the page and I obviously used one of the smaller images rather than a larger one in the final version. However, having shot all of the images in RAW, I was able to go back to the original and process it again for the revised version. Having done this in Lightroom I then exported the file as a JPEG, making sure that I did not reduce the size, and at this point I realised that the ‘sharpening for print’ option was set to high, which I was also able to change for the revised version. My tutor’s only other negative comment about the book cover was that it appeared dated. When I looked at the books I had used as models, I realised that they were all printed in the early 1990s. So, back to the on-line book shops and what I found was that in the main, the colours used today for the backgrounds tend to be lighter and brighter. I have now changed the back ground colour to cream and the text to purple, which I think looks better.
The one area which did not meet assessment requirements for this unit was my learning log as there is insufficient research and reflection on the ethics of digital manipulation. This came as no surprise at all as all I seemed to do in this blog during the last couple of months is moan! However, I now have some web sites and other resources to research, which I will do over the next week or so before I start the last part of the course.